For more information, please contact our Imaging Services Department at 903.577.6115.
Nuclear medicine is comprised of diagnostic examinations that result in images of body anatomy and function. These images assist physicians in diagnosing diseases such as tumors, infection and other disorders by evaluating organ function.
Specifically, nuclear medicine can be used to:
- Analyze kidney function
- Image blood flow and function of the heart
- Scan lungs for respiratory and blood-flow problems
- Identify blockage of the gallbladder
- Evaluate bones for fracture, infection, arthritis or tumor
- Determine the presence or spread of cancer
- Identify bleeding into the bowel
- Locate the presence of infection
- Measure thyroid function to detect an overactive or underactive thyroid